SPECIALIZED - TREK - CERVELO - PINARELLO - PARLEE- K BEDFORD CUSTOMS
There’s no doubt Blue Sky has earned its reputation with our solid understanding of road bikes. However, it’s not just our understanding of the technical aspects of road bikes, but our understanding of bicycle fit that make for a great bike buying experience. We are firm believers that fit is the most important aspect of cycling. We have Serotta-trained professional fitters on staff, as well as a dedicated fit studio with a Serotta Size-Cycle for the ultimate in road bike fit. Please visit our Fit Studio page for more information on the fitting services we offer.
Why choose Blue Sky Bicycles for your next road bike?
We fit every road bike we sell. A road bike purchase from Blue Sky Bicycles comes with a complementary basic fit (see options below). We can say with confidence that we spend more time making sure your new bike fits you.
Road Bike Models under $3,000 include the complementary basic fit services:
- Saddle height
- Saddle fore/aft position
- Cockpit position
Road Bike Models between $3,000 and $4,999 include:
(available for purchases under $3,000 for a $100 charge)
- Saddle height
- Saddle fore/aft position
- Cockpit position
- Foot stabilization analysis
- Dartfish-optimized fit
- Lower leg alignment, including
- Saddle height/ankling
- Knee tracking
Models above $5,000 include:
(available for purchases between $3,000 and $4,999 for a $100 charge, and for purchases under $3,000 for a $200 charge)
- Full Size-Cycle/Dartfish/CompuTrainer fit
- Extended interview process
- Foot stabilization analysis
- Flexibility assessment
- Size-Cycle determined position
- Dartfish motion analysis
- CompuTrainer power
The fit process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 or more hours. If you’re shopping for a new bike, we highly recommend making an appointment with us. The store can get quite busy at times, and an appointment will ensure the best possible experience for you. You are always welcome to just stop in as well; we will always do our best to accommodate you.
In addition to the basic fit, we also offer complete and comprehensive Serotta International Cycling Institute (SICI) fits for new bike purchases. Any bike sale receives a $100 credit with an accompanying SICI fit. Please visit our Fit Studio page for a complete description of the SICI fit.
Our fitting services are also available for your existing bike. Make the most out of your riding experience with a professional fit from a Serotta-certified fitter.
Based in Morgan Hill, CA, Specialized was founded as Specialized Bicycle Components in 1974 by Mike Sinyard as a small importer and component distributor. In 1979 they produced their first road bike, the Allez. Today they hold true to their “Innovate or die” and “Innovate and win” slogans by equipping some of the world’s best road athletes with bikes and equipment.
- Our Take: We feel that Specialized truly is one of the top companies in the bike industry, which is why we choose to offer them to our customers. Their commitment to making top products in every category shows, as they have recent victories in every major bicycle-racing category (road, triathlon, time trial, and XC, free-ride, and downhill mountain biking). What we especially like about Specialized is that their innovation trickles down. For example, the frames for this year’s Roubaix line were all once top level S-Works frames in the past. They innovate at the top, then trickle that innovation down in their line, and you don’t have to be a professional to enjoy the benefits.
Based in Waterloo, WI, Trek has been producing road bikes since 1975. The company was founded on hand-brazed lugged steel frames, but quickly embraced technological advances in the 1980s with aluminum and carbon fiber, and dedicated themselves to carbon fiber in the 1990s with a substantial investment in in-house production capacity. Trek provided bikes for Lance Armstrong for all 7 of his Tour de France victories, and numerous others for their victories, including George Hincapie and Alberto Contador.
- Our Take: Trek carbon road bikes, particularly the Madone have been some of the benchmarks in road bikes from the major manufacturers since their introduction. A few years ago they introduced Project One**, a program that allows you to customize your bike, rather than being stuck with whatever color, handlebar, stem, and other components the product manager decided on. For 2011 they now offer three different geometries (H1, H2, and H3) and coupled with the Project One program, Trek offers som of the best options for fitting stock frame sizes.
Cervelo was founded by Phil White and Gerard Vroomen in 1995, and has been rocking the cycling world with their focus on aerodynamics ever since. What began as an endeavor to build the world's fastest Time-Trial bike led to the birth of one of the most ground breaking companies in modern cycling. With an aerodynamic focus from the beginning, Cervelo has helped bring many cyclists to the top of the podium. For example, in 2003 Team CSC was ranked 14th. During their 6 year partnership with Cervelo, they were ranked #1 three times. They were the first manufacturer to have their own team in the pro peloton, the Cervelo Test Team. Today they co-sponsor Team Garmin-Cervelo , including athletes Thor Hushovd, Tyler Farrar, Christian VandeVelde, and David Zabriskie.
- Our Take: Cervelo's focus on aerodynamics makes them an interesting player in the road bike market. While they are the largest manufacturer of triathlon and time trial bikes, they essentially invented (and dominate) the aero road bike market with the S-series bikes. Their standard road models (the R-series) are incredible too, with innovations like BBRight.
Pinarello frames have been ridden to victory in one-day road races like Milan-San Remo, Paris-Nice, Ghent-Wevelgem, Tour of Lombardy, and the Olympic Games. They've held their own -- to say the least -- in stage races as well, including countless stage victories, as well as overall victory, in the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France. The list of pros who found greatness riding a Pinarello is epic: Cipollini, Indurain, Riis, Zabel, Ullrich, Petacchi, Valverde, and Pereiro top the list. Today Team Sky and Movistar in the pro peloton ride Pinarellos to victory. But it's not the Pinarello palmares that make it the most coveted frame brand on the market. As Fausto Pinarello once wrote, "a great bicycle can be great without a great rider. A winning bicycle brings together the expert of the artisan, the latest in technological innovation, a passion for the sport, and a fanatical attention to perfection."
- Our Take: Pinarello makes bicycles that ride and perform as beautifully as they look. Want proof? How does winning “Race Bike of the Year” from Bicycling Magazine four years in a row sound? 2012 is better than ever to get on a Pinarello with new models like the Paris which features the technology of the famed Dogma at a more accessible price, and the updated FP Quattro model.
Parlee- Based in Beverly, MA, Bob Parlee founded Parlee Cycles on a simple premise, “to build the best performing race bike in the world”. While you’ll find similar statements on just about every bike manufacturer’s website, Bob goes on to define what this means for him:
“I am not a stylist. I am a designer and builder of race bikes. I design and build fast, light, durable and comfortable bikes — qualities that were once considered mutually exclusive in bike building. Because of this, you will not see unnecessary shapes in my designs. The guiding principle for PARLEE is efficiency. The key to pushing performance is to use carbon fiber strategically to maximize its characteristics. Carbon fiber is perfect for building bikes because it has such a high strength to weight ratio. This is why the styling makes no sense. All it does is add weight and take away from ride quality. It is akin to putting fins a car — they may look cool, but they are not going to make it perform better.”
Bob draws on his extensive experience building carbon fiber racing sailboats to build some truly amazing bicycles. Parlee’s unique tube-to-tube construction method provides not only outstanding ride quality, performance, and durability, but also the ability to replicate fit dimensions incredibly accurately.
Our Take: We extremely excited to have Parlee in our shop. They continually push the boundary in what’s possible with carbon fiber. The level of detail is remarkable. For example, Parlee doesn’t drill their carbon tubes and rivet cable stops in place. Instead, they bond the cable stop to the tube as not to disrupt the integrity of the carbon. In addition to offering fantastic custom bikes, they also offer stock frame bikes such as the Z5 and TT, allowing our customers to access boutique-quality bicycles at Specialized Tarmac and Trek Madone prices. Check out our gallery to see some of these amazing bikes we’ve provided a home for.